Of disk swapping, database structure & project management..

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Fri Apr 11 21:08:20 CEST 1997

At 09:03 PM 5/1/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Has anyone experimented with swapping unused parts of the mud database to
>disk, reading it back in when needed? What sort of format is it stored in
>(eg binary, ASCII, etc)?

Cold does this automaticly.  it has a fixed memory footprint.
It writes out into a binary database (ndbm).  It also has a "text dump"
command that writes it all out in an ASCII form to transfer between systems
or edit.

JK

>Also, what were your considerations when designing the structure of the
>db (both memory and disk images) - ie i have a hex tree (like binary
>tree, but with 16 child nodes instead of 2), but im not sure how
>efficient it is.. a number of calculations have to be made to progress
>down each 'level' of the tree, I was wondering what other ppl had done?

Cold is absed on the database, its really the center of the system.
"object ids" are really database record numbers.