Strings & Memory Usage

Sun Apr 20 13:07:29 CEST 1997

:Is there a common way to save the memory used up by storing strings? I'm
:sure something was said on this subject in the RGMA 'MUD Memory' thread
:(by George Reese, IIRC)
:
:I will probably be using some sort of bytecode compilation on my mud now.
:Would this method of memory saving simply involve checking a list of
:those strings currently in memory, and either adding a new string, or
:adding a pointer to an old string? (that would probably slow down the
:process unless the storage structure was right, tho)

Is string space such a big problem? I've always thought that most
duplicates can be trimmed out by using subroutines and object inheritance.
Of course, I always think of inheritance as pointing to the inherited
object(s) rather than just grabbing a copy of everything it has.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA