[MUD-Dev] Re: Issues from the digests and Wout's list

Adam Wiggins nightfall at inficad.com
Wed Apr 23 20:04:34 CEST 1997

> About aliases:  Nathan said his system could do 'alias x shoot $target',
> how about expanding this to 'alias x shoot %1{$target}', where if an
> argument isn't given with x, $target is substituted in.

We have something like this built in which is indepentant of aliases.
It keeps track of your last set of 'targets' on certain things, thus:

> notch arrow bow
You notch a wooden arrow into your bow.
> shoot north orc
[Here 'bow' and 'arrow' are already in your list of objects recently accessed]
You fire a wooden arrow north at the orc.
> notch
[Here everything it wishes to know is already in your list...]
You notch a wooden arrow into your bow.
> shoot
[Same thing - it just so happens the orc has moved west.]
You fire a wooden arrow west at the orc.

Also, we can make use of this list to decide what to show to the target.
Ie, they normally might not see the orc move southwest, but since they're
interested in it by virtue of their recent interaction with it, they may
get the message.  Similarly, by simply looking at a target, you have a
higher chance of noticing them trying to sneak out of the room.  This
has the interesting effect of making shopkeepers (who interact with you
when you enter the shop in the form of a greeting) more aware of you if
you're the only one around, but if someone else walks in and begins
interacting with the shopkeeper, they will be 'distracted' and you'll
have an easier time of slipping that figurine into your coat and slipping
out the door without them noticing.  It's better to work in teams...