[MUD-Dev] Re: Issues from the digests and Wout's list

Travis Casey casey at NU.cs.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 24 23:18:30 CEST 1997

> (1) Beware putting characters into roles based on character sex.
Gender-roles
>     are fast becoming a moribund concept in our society and you would
>     definately offend soem people (me, for instance ;) )
>     The only excpetion is where your game is set in an earlier era or
world
>     with stronger roles but EVEN THEN players shoudl be allowed to be
>     "exceptional" men or women who break the stereotypes-- such have
always
>     existed historicly.  The reaction of then world shoudl not penalize
>     them significantly for this, though it should ideally be visible in
the
>     "fluff" (NPC comments and so forth.)

I'd agree with this... for humans.  Non-human races in fantasy or SF could
have any kind of sex roles.  Indeed, different sexes might be physically
different in major ways.  Also, don't forget that a race might have more
or less than two different sexes.
--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <casey at cs.fsu.edu>
 ZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     System Manager, FSU CS department
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'   (904) 644-4290; Room 101C Carothers
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)       No one agrees with me.  Not even me.
  rec.games.design FAQ: http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~casey/design.html