[MUD-Dev] Re: Verb binding

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Sun Apr 27 15:43:54 CEST 1997

In <199704260455.SAA18309 at mail.pixi.com>, on 04/25/97
   at 10:06 PM, "ashen" <ashen at pixi.com> said:

>[apple tree situation: we want to pick an apple from tree,
> either with verb binding or a global 'pick' verb - how to do?]

>: I handle with one of a few simple approaches:

>: When an apple is picked, the verb only exists on the
>: tree-type apples, so that is matched.  The verb methods
>: then create a new apple of type non-tree which doesn't
>: have a "pick" verb, and hand that off to the user while
>: destructing the tree-apple.

>the verb "pick" should be bound to the tree, IMO, not the apple.

The reason I put it on the apple is that I'm definitely moving toward
a full graphical system and I don't want to see a graphic of a tree
full of apples telling me it has no more apples or pick your variation
on that theme such as an almost empty tree with only a few apples
left).  It also allows easy handling of the "apple is out of reach"
scenario and variations.

>on a side note, what are some ideas for handling player 'give'
>commands?  i like the point that one player shouldn't be able to just
>GIVE another player a grenade, but i'm not coming up with many
>alternative methods.

I use the stnadard nested prompts I posted on before.

> 1) Make players drop the item for the other to pick up.
>    (icky - players won't like that at all)

Exactly.

> 2) Players have an 'accepting' toggle for whether or not
>    they accept given items from livings.
>    (maybe?)
>
>i definitely don't want to prompt them:
>  Ashen offers an apple to you: do you accept?
>  > (Yes/No) ?
>[Ugg-ugg attacks you! Not again! ;) ]

<kof>

But I *like* thus way!