[MUD-Dev] Re: Reposts

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue Apr 29 02:50:11 CEST 1997

At 07:48 PM 4/28/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>Any thoughts on Champions/Hero?  I have no paper RPG backround (none,
>absolutely none!), but this one interested me on glance.

My favorite al ltime system (and I staretd RPGing in 75 with the real
original D&D books).

Quick sumamtion: hero system
(1) the most perfect genre-less system ever created. Youc an build any game
from the rules you care to. Unliek GURPS, whcih is all special cases, hero
is totally quantized with a set oif standard peices and modifiers.
(2) "Fun with numbers" or "the system onyl a programmer coudl love."  Its
is mathe maticly the most complex and number crunchign intensive system
probably ever created.  Thign is, it works... it creates an ALMOST
perfectly balanced and 100% felxible system (you stil lgotta watch out for
a ahndful of systenm-abuse possabilities, but they are relatively minor.)

A note. hero and R Talisorian have joiend forces and brought out a new
product line based o na system called Fuzion.  The two genre books out
currently for Fuzion are "Bubble Gum Crisis" (anime-cyberpunkish setting)
and "Cghampions:The New Millenium."  Fuzion does not replace Hero, but it
simplifies it and adds more support for character background generation.
Champions:TNM contaisn the fulkl system, BBC a slightly smaller subset.
Whats inetresting is that there is a conversio nsystem so you can
effectively extend Fuzion by building new powers in Herod then just
dividing the cost by 5. Hero effectivel becomes a nmeta-system for
Fuzion... a very interesting combination...

My origianl personal MUD project was Hero based. i suspect when I go back
to it, ill be using Fuzion as I had never intended to let players build
powers anyway, only sysops.

JK