[MUD-Dev] Virtual Chemistry

Huibai ashen at pixi.com
Sat Aug 2 10:51:54 CEST 1997

Brandon :> But what is this going to "buy" a player?

Jon Lambert:
: Nothing, if you are looking for direct effects.  In fact placing the
: rules of the system just out of reach of your average player can
: provide a world of mystery.

  Ah yes, very much agreed.  I think if the smart player eventually
figures out the system roughly, he (or she) will be much endeared
to the game world.  To stumble upon an explanation for why these
things happen lets the player know that there are still unexplained
systems out there - the world is still a challenge.
  It's like re-reading a book for the 5th time when something finally
clicks, and you marvel at the complexity of two previous sub-plots
which now complement each other nicely.  The author who can plan
these levels of intricacy retain their readers by being just a step in
front of the reader at all times.  The world is a mystery, waiting for
you to look at it enough to discover its pieces.

: The head-banging is done in the implemention, which is one
: side of the coin we have been discussing.

Oh what fun it is to ride on a ... yeah. *sloppy grin*

-John