[MUD-Dev] Dynamic Descriptions

Martin Keegan martin at cam.sri.com
Mon Aug 4 12:35:28 CEST 1997

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Nathan Yospe wrote:

> To interject a new topic of discussion...
>
> Some of you have markup languages... I have one myself, but I am seriously
> thinking of replacing it. What I am concerned with is this - I want to be
> able to switch from running a text game to a graphical game of whatever
> sort without difficulty. To this end, I no longer pass any real text
> around... instead, I create information objects, which can key stored text
> (out of a database) or stored graphics, stored hyperlinks, etc. What is
> transmitted to the client is negotiated at login, and the server daemon
> (not the mud) resolves, for example, text from info objects to pass to a
> raw telnet client. What I am wondering is, do any of you have anything
> remotely similar to this, and if you do, are you willing to discuss
> technical details of it?

There have been various abortive attempts to discuss this on
rec.games.mud.admin, one of which foundered over the actual NAME of the
scheme. It's not possible to discuss this surrounded by people who think
it should be done using spare telnet option codes though.

I am against adopting Pueblo - it reeks of semi-proprietaryness.

This really could change mudding if we could get enough people to support
it. Everyone having their own conflicting standards is just going to hold
things back.

Mk