[MUD-Dev] Virtual Chemistry

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Mon Aug 4 19:50:53 CEST 1997

On Sun 03 Aug, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:

> > On Sat 02 Aug, Nathan Yospe wrote:

> > > On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> > Are we still talking about chemistry or about alchemy here? It seems to
> > me that those two are not even remotely the same.  Even if the one sup-
> > posedly originated from the other. Chemistry is a science while alchemy
> > is for the most part a mysticism. Aims for the two are wildly different
> > as well as the tools  and the 'theory' behind them.

> I'd protest that alchemy (from a more scientific point of view, leaving
> the mystical elements aside temporarily) is primitive "chemistry", and the
> basic ways things interact are going to be same. This is the approach I'm
> basing my system on, and allowing the mystical side as 'modifiers' to what
> things do.

I think we agree on this point then :)
I was just wondering when half the time people look like they are discus-
sing alchemy when I think they're talking about chemistry. Not that I can
reliably distinguish the one from the other. But that's mainly because it
is all magic to me.

> To give a pair of quick examples:

> You could have a herbalist of some description who mixes a few ground up
> roots with some water, to produce a rather non-magical, but quite effect-
> ive treatment to help stop severe wounds bleeding.

> You could also have a different character, who mixes similar herbs with
> water, and enchants them to produce a very different poultice, which has
> a similar but more dramatic effect - it doesn't help to stop bleeding, it
> burns the wound clean, sealing it into a scar within seconds.

Well yes. that's more or less what I was thinking too.  Maybe even go so far
as having the alchemist being capable to create potions, poultices and so on
that wouldn't work for the herbalist.  While the herbalist has the advantage
that her mixtures are simpler to obtain and more reliable.

> I read the post you sent, but didn't actually reply, because I
> don't have much to add. :)

*smile* I guess it was not so much a post meant to start discussion. It is
more of a "this is what I think of when people talk about alchemy" type of
post.

> I'm moving onto considering the actual user interface, and how to handle
> things like the second example above, now.

I still believe that the best way to get at that is to have a system of
beliefs (laws of magic if you want) that tells -why- something actually
works.  Alchemists came up with a variety of theories that may not have
been particularly scientific but they did explain things. To an extent.
The advantage of having your own game is that you can make certain that
a theory actually works.  Then, if you never tell the players why magic
works, you end up with a mystical art of alchemy that players can theo-
rise about and teach their apprentices.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,