[MUD-Dev] Persistance/stability

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Tue Aug 5 00:51:36 CEST 1997

> [Adam W:]
> :		Since the mud boots in about two seconds on our primary
> :server right now, we *should* be able to program it well enough that
> :a 'crash' will just look like a two second pause, which is hardly noticeable
> :given the haphazard timing of messages (no pulses, anyhow) to players.
>
> Two seconds? That's pretty quick to be up and running again. Does that
> include time to get the needed parts of the scenario back from the db?
> I know on mine that it doesn't take long to load the server, but then it
> has to execute the restart actions of all the NPC's, etc. which in turn
> will trigger a lot of object references.

Well, it's all in-memory, and to be honest it's hardly what I'd
call 'massive' just yet.  However really the credit lies with the
kick-ass system we run on; I'm not sure what it is, actually, since I've
never actually seen it, but the mud can do a clean (complete) compile
in about 20 seconds, as opposed to over an hour on my PC at home.
So compared to that, booting a little db and processing a bunch of
start-up events is like nothing. :)