[MUD-Dev] Spellcaster, or Waving Hands

Michael Hohensee michael at sparta.mainstream.net
Thu Aug 7 11:18:01 CEST 1997

clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> http://shaw.iol.ie/~ecarroll/mud/spellcaster.html
>
>                       WAVING HANDS
>                (also known as: SPELLCASTER)
>                     Richard Bartle
[Snip]

This looks like an excellent spell system, as it allows players to
actually have a magical combat that is just as complicated as a physical
one.  (most muds relegate magic to "You hit Bubba with a fireball"  or
"You miss Bubba with a fireball")

However, it seems to me, that to fight out one of these combats with any
amount of speed or efficiency, a client program would be required.  The
client can prompt the player for one character inputs, and also provide
other information to the player.  (ie: after you've started casting W-C,
the client can display a list of possible known conclusions).

Otherwise, a fast typer would murder a slow typer. :)

One could also introduce new spells to the game this way. "Yes, my
student, W-C-C-Q is the basic firestarting spell, but W-C-C-Q-! creates
a fireball of intensity level 5." *BooOooM*

> On Usenet, in comp.games.design, Colin Coghill (colin at kcbbs.gen.nz)
> mentioned he had a computer version of SpellCaster that runs under
> Unix X11. No further information is available at this time.

Fortunately, it's a very simple system at heart.  I'll bet any one of us
could code it from scratch. :)

Michael Hohensee       michael at sparta.mainstream.net
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/9025/
      Finger me for my PGP Public Key, or use:
http://sparta.mainstream.net/michael/pgpkey.txt