[MUD-Dev] Reputation, was butthead features

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Fri Aug 8 10:24:20 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]
> >something like "Hehheh, I squished 3 ants last night".
> >
> >How does the game tell the difference? Does it? Does it need to?
>
> I don't believe it really needs to.  Any one comment has minimal impact,
> its the pattern (and absuers ARE pattern creatrues) that ends up hurting you.
>
> Actually, it goes a bit further then just parsing.  Ocne a trigger is
> envc\counerted there is a % chance it wil actually effect your infamy based
>  on location (in the city, the walls have ears) and numerb of PC or actual
> NPC witnesses present

A quick and dirty suggestion that just occured to me: log random statements
heard by NPCs, with more important (ie, a townguard vs a peasant) NPCs
having a higher probablity to 'remember' a given statement.  Then, at your
(or whoever's) leisure, page through the log looking for interesting stuff.
This would probably be most useful at the begining, since it will key you
off to what your triggers should actually be.