[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: The purpose of MUDding?

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Mon Aug 11 23:54:25 CEST 1997

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>    at 08:00 AM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:
>
> >You can have quite a few players hopping about over PPP without
> >lagging to hell FYI - my personal record is probably 10 on any kind
> >of server, over 28.8 PPP, and on a P90 (NexGen) with 8 megs of ram on
> >linux. This was not a limit because of resources - it was a limit
> >because that was the amount of people who actually showed up at the
> >same time.
>
> This is an area I intend to actively investigate.  I have purchased a
> low end Alpha workstation.  It will be connected to the net initially
> by 56K modek (lord knows what connection rate I'll really get) 24/7,
> with (later) an ISDN connection taking over during off-peak hours
> only.  News, mail (this list and my own email), and web traffic will
> be flowing over the same connection, but is not likely to swamp the
> pipe (low traffic).

This could be interesting. As a side note, if you plan on having 24hr
connection available, it opens a new meta-possibility for the list - a
private newsgroup of sorts. That aside, some actual research work done
into bandwidth vs use would be interesting. I achieve a vast lot via 28.8,
and only really have trouble with bulk data transfer (ftps, and
particularly web browsing in X).

> In this line I'll be actively interested in what sort of user load the
> connection can support for various MUDs.  The Alpha will be running
> Linux (RH 4.2 for now), ha 40Meg of RAM currently, and will soon be
> upgraded to 64Meg (possibly 96Meg).  CPU is a possible bottleneck
> (166MHz 21066).  Disk space is *not* a problem (3Gig online now,
> another 20Gig in reserve).

Heh. It'll be interesting to find out what happens!

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt