[MUD-Dev] Graphic MUDS/Ultima Online

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Tue Aug 12 07:12:10 CEST 1997

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Matt Chatterley wrote:
> >
> > Yup! This is where one vital change in outlook is a key starting point.
> > Weapons are NOT separate entities in their own right. ANYTHING you can
> > lift and swipe with is a weapon! Just a sword is better designed for
> > cutting than a chair you grabbed in the inn.
>
> Why use the chair?  If you're an 8 foot ogre, you could use the innkeeper.

Heh. Assuming this is our jolly, red-faced innkeeper, he'd probably weigh
about 200 lbs, roughly 100 kilos. Thats pretty hefty to get a good swing
with. ;)

As is, if you're strong enough you can use corpses to my mind - but I'm
not sure about livings. Theres no real reason why it cant be done - the
actual code changes requires would just be to the move code (or an extra
move function to allow putting a living 'into' another, plus a means for
them to squirm free, and ensure they aren't held when not wielded).

> You swing the Innkeeper over your head, striking the drunkard hard.
> The Innkeeper's skull shatters under the impact of the blow.
> The Innkeeper is dead!

Poor innkeeper!

> The drunkard hits you with a bottle.
> The bottle shatters as it strikes your head.
>
> You swing the corpse of the Innkeeper in a wide arc, missing the drunkard.
>
> The drunkard hits you with a broken bottle.

Depends how shattered the bottle was I suppose - but a broken weapon is
not automatically unuseable, unless it melts or something strange like
that.

> Etc...
>
> Now watch the mess you make in a bar-room brawl...

Heh. Heh.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt