[MUD-Dev] Dynamic Descriptions

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Thu Aug 14 13:25:42 CEST 1997

One mreo comment...

At 07:18 AM 8/14/97 PST8PDT, Nathan wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
>
>:I have strong suspicions that this is what UO is doing under the
>:covers.  Raph's comment on the client doing prediction of background
>:movement etx would seem to require this sort of model implicitly.  I'm

Have to disagree with your logic JC.

Prediction/correction (which in a lecture on everyyear at CGDC along with
other net-game models) really only requires that each update be complete
enough in itself to cause a correction. predictio nworks BETTR with low
ferquency info (state stuff like motion vectors) then high fequency info
(controller actions) but it can be done and, in fact, MY expereicne with
the UOL controls suggests that it IS a controller-state model.

In any case the syntactic way the info is transferred... text, data
packets, whatever.. is irellevent to the issue as it is an issue of use of
the symantic content to try to predict the future...

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net