[MUD-Dev] Level abstractions - Realism vs Game Issues

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Aug 14 15:04:05 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.95q.970812162448.18291A-100000 at uhunix2>, on 08/14/97
   at 07:01 AM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said:

>On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:

>I hope that reaction (yanking the axe and drawing the sword) was a
>computer handled reflex... this list is populated with wimps
>(kidding, really, c'mon guys, put down that LART, it was a joke...)
>who don't want to offend people's senses of dominance over their mud
>bodies by letting the bodies act instinctively or reflexively, even
>in high stress situations.

I'd suggest that human players do enough reflexive and reactive
thinking in situations of MUD-stress to satisfy that need (I've seen
players hurl their bodies out of their chairs when killed, faces drawn
and white, far too close to adreniline shock for comfort).  Given
that, wouldn't coding it into the MUD characters tend to prevent the
case of the nerves-of-steel chap, or the fellow who is normally an
utter wimp, but this one time knows exactly what he is getting into,
has steeled himself, and with teeth gritted bulls his way thru as a
temporary piece of stone?

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com