[MUD-Dev] Spellcaster, or Waving Hands

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Aug 14 15:15:52 CEST 1997

In <199708141750.MAA16729 at laurel.actlab.utexas.edu>, on 08/14/97
   at 10:50 AM, Cynbe ru Taren <cynbe at laurel.actlab.utexas.edu> said:

>> Now you're talking.  I'd really like to see if I can't extend the
>> system such that it becomes really compnent based.  Then a spell
>> caster starts assembling components:
>>
>>   (waggle fingers)  that's some fire
>>   (..............)  that's some explosion
>>   (..............)  that's some more explosion
>>   (..............)  that's some motion or missle characteristics
>>   (..............)  that's some ......
>>   (..............)  And release it!
>>
>> Then any particular released spell would be an assembliage of the
>> entire set of previously unreleased components.

>Cool!  Constants, state, composition operators... a few more weeks of
>discussion, and we'll have re-invented enough of  programming
>languages to allow some really interesting effects :)

Precisely!  I'd actually had a bet with myself that Miro would be the
first to notice that.

About the only other thing I'd like to change would be to remove the
reliance on the 5 fingers of two hands.  Thus players with
ambidextrous toes, or more fingers per hand could have an advantage.
This of it as varying the thread count...

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com