[MUD-Dev] C&C and Event Rescheduling

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Fri Aug 15 00:43:37 CEST 1997

clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
> [big snip]
> I have severe allergic reactions to tick based systems.
> Characteristically I prefer the "as fast as the system will let you,"
> model. The idea that I'll deliberately program a system so that a
> human can wait on a computer seems treasonous.

Okay fair enough.  I personally prefer delays which will allow the
users to perform other things in the process.  It takes time to walk
from A to B, after all.  Out of interest, how does your combat work?
I assume you have delays in there?  Perhaps I'm thinking StockCombat,
and you've found some new method?

I would have used a similar sort of thing for the mage spellcasting
you were talking about (and in fact was considering doing something
similar for 'psychic combat' a while back).  Whatever system you DO
decide to use however, have you considered using the same thing for
some sort of 'wrestling' style combat?  I.e. where you can get each
other into locks and holds, and try to wrestle your way back out of
it again?  One of the main reasons I would use delays in here is to
stop people with clients having a truely sick advantage.  They will
always have some sort of advantage, I just want to reduce it a bit.

Btw the alignment of the above paragraph was purely coincidental.
Looks good though, doesn't it? ;)

KaVir.