[MUD-Dev] New Topic: Butthead features

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Fri Aug 15 07:22:47 CEST 1997

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>    at 11:42 PM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:

> >> Were I to do a legal system I suspect it would be something as
> >> follows:
>
> ...deletia...
>
> >>   The jurors would be told that the system will teleport them to a
> >> court room at a pre-defined time (30 RL mins later) in the future to
> >> stand judgement.
>
> >What do you do if one or more juror leaves within this period?
>
> They are logged with the crime on non-attendance, and the number of
> jurors in the coutroom decreases.  If they all leave, then the trial
> defaults to a non-guilty.

I was wondering about this until I read below - I missed part of the
'transference' thing earlier.

> >>   The juror list is openly published at the same time.
> >>
> >>   The accused is informed that he is accused and when the trial will
> >> be.
> >>
> >>   Jurors may sell or transfer their juror position to any other
> >> society member, including the accused, prior to the trial.
>
> >Aha.
>
> There's nothing like explicitly encouraging corruption in your legal
> system.

Oh yes. One thing that will be interesting for me to try and achieve will
be different ways that different cultures treat crimes..

> >>   Non-attending jurors are tagged with the crime of non-attendance,
> >> and may or may not be called to stand trial for that crime.
>
> >This is a bit iffy - does non-attendence mean logged in, but didn't
> >show up?
>
> The jurors are selected from the pool of players who are members of
> the society and are currently logged on at the time the trial
> proceedings are started.  If a juror does not pass on his jurorship,
> and logs off prior to or during the trial, then the crime of
> non-attendance is logged against him (may or may not be acted upon).
>
> Jurors have no chance to not show up.  The system teleports them to
> courtroom.

Yeah. Given that they can 'transfer' jurorship its no problem. :)

> >>   The courtroom has no entrances and no exits.  There is no possiblity
> >> to view an in-progress court case unless one of the jurors brings in a
> >> remote camera object.
>
> Note: Jurors are actively encouraged to bring cameras, weapons of mass
> destruction, and anything else they can think of.

Heh, heh, heh. Camera under one arm, thermonuclear device under the other?

> >> It should be amusing at the least, wonderfully chaotic at best, and
> >> intensely unfair and primitive at its ideal scene.
>
> >I'd love to see what happened with this.
>
> Me too.  I'm actually rather pleased with it as a quick 10 minute
> throw-away idea at a game's legal system.  I'd probably change it
> slightly so that the stat editing capabilities in a guilty verdict are
> numerically limited, but that's about it.

Yup. I like though, as a concept to try. Not what I'd do, but then it just
doesn't really fit into the theme - if you've done something bad enough to
warrant any severe punishment, you probably won't be taken alive by the
guards. Proper trials will also be rare (restricted to towns which have
Judges available, and will even then just be arbitary decisions by the
judge, rather than trials).

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt