[MUD-Dev] Finding Space

Fri Aug 15 19:30:00 CEST 1997

[Michael H:]

:I can store anything to any location I want, but I want to avoid
:overlapping objects onto each other (it's bad), so I need to be able to
:find empty space between objects.  I can't just try to place an object
:in every location, since there isn't any granularity to this space (I
:use floats instead of ints).
:
:A friend of mine glanced at this problem and said, "Oh, that's a
:bin-stuffing problem."  Of course, he didn't remember anything else
:about the problem, so here I am. :)

Also called "bin packing", I believe. Not something I know anything about.

:Does anyone have the answer? :)

Well, this is beginning to sound a *lot* like Winograd's "Blocks World".
He got a PhD degree for implementing that!

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA