[MUD-Dev] C&C and Event Rescheduling

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Aug 16 14:42:39 CEST 1997

On Fri 15 Aug, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> [Chris L:]
> > >:  Please enters the following very rapidly:
> > >:    N, S, E, W.

> > >It seems to me that, even if they are all on the same input line,
> > >they are separate commands from the user.

> > As a general rule, yes.  There are exceptions.  Consider the case:

> >   > dig panama canal
> >   You begin digging.
> >   ...many hours later...
> >   You are still digging.
> >   You are attacked by the Orcs!
> >   > kill orcs
> >   Sorry, you'll have to wait till you're done digging.
> >   > oops

Just to prove that I even read things that don't sound appealing to me
from their subject line ;)

Isn't it simple to have some kind of priority for actions. I remember  from
my sociology classes that there is something like that defined. Survival is
highest on that list,  below that comes finding food and shelter and so on.
I can probably find the exact list if somebody is interested.
Commands that work toward higher level goals  should override commands that
you are executing that have a lower level.  Drawing your sword should over-
ride digging a hole as it has to do with survival,  but eating bread in the
middle of a fight is plain silly  and that command should be ignored  until
the fight is over.  In fact now I think about it, eating is really very low
level in this respect and almost anything you do that requires some concen-
tration is capable of making you forget you are hungry.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey