[MUD-Dev] Fuzion - Game System

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 17 21:25:55 CEST 1997

> From:          Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
> At 10:21 AM 8/17/97 PST8PDT, JL wrote:
>
> Although by current Copyright law (usual disclaimer, i am not a alwyer and
> thsi is NOt to be taken as legal advice) a game mechanics are by definition
> NOT protected in any way (being ideas not works) NONETHELESS the Fuzion
> folks are trying ahrd to make some revenue stream out of licensing their
> system for games and such.

My understanding of US copyright law is the same.  No disclaimer
needed since I'm a US citizen. So you can consider anything I say
to be legal advice.  (My interpretation of this funny "disclaimer"
thing.  Kill all the Sophists! )

> So if you are thinking abotu using it it woudl be polite to tal kto them
> first.

Definitely.  I would strongly encourage it.  Any differences of
opinion can usually be worked out aforehand.  An aside: I also had
some positive conversations with employees of ICE on the
feasability of my mud. :)  And Oh what a glum lot the TSR booth was.

JL