[MUD-Dev] Looking for books...

Cynbe ru Taren cynbe at laurel.actlab.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:15:47 CEST 1997

|  Compiler design

The Aho/Sethi/Uhlmann (Ullman?) fat dragon book is still the standard
text, as far as I know.  I'm not sure there -are- equally definitive
books on the other topics listed;  Tree algorithms one often has to
hunt down in the literature.  "Design Patterns" is considered a classic
in OOP, but I don't think is definitive.  I think NLP is in volume 5 of
Knuth's Art of Computer Programming.  (*grin*... it's been stuck at
three volumes for decades now.)  Memory management and database design
tend in my experience at least to be research topics one has to go to
the literature for.  You might want to find the computer science library
at the nearest good university and spend some time hunting through
sigplan notices, the symposia on principle of programming language,
Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems &tc &tc.  Start with
the most recent stuff and follow the reference trails back.  Check out
Computing Reviews, if it has a recent survey of your field, that's a
great place to start the reference-chasing trail.  Take lots of quarters
for the photocopier :)