[MUD-Dev] Looking for books...

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Aug 19 17:21:59 CEST 1997

Greg Munt wrote:

> I know some of you have some reasonably-sized libraries, so I was
> wondering if you might be able to recommend some books for me?
>
> Topics:
>
>    OOD

	Read Grady Booch.

>    Compiler design

	Allen I. Holub, 'Compiler Design in C'. Best I've ever found. And the
dragon book, of course, the author of which eludes me; was it Aho?

>    Database design (esp persistence)
>
>    Tree algorithms (esp R-Trees, et al) (all I can find are general
>    algorithm books that discuss binary trees - sigh)

I'm completely lost on both topics, unfortunately.

>    Parser/NLP design

	Holub's book covers this pretty well.

>    Memory management (perhaps)

	Memory management is simple. Ask for it when you need it; make sure you
have it before you use it; return it when you're done; and don't try to
use it after it's been returned. Easy. That's pretty much it. If you're
interested in the real low levels, I read a rather detailed treatment of
it in a book on designing operating systems, but I forget the name of
it... so check around for books on operating system design, I guess. And
there was a book called 'The Zen of Code Optimisation' which had some
tips in it.