[MUD-Dev] Re: Character evolution

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Aug 20 21:27:35 CEST 1997

On Tue 19 Aug, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

> At 09:52 PM 8/19/97 PST8PDT, JCL wrote:

> Bacily, alignment is a silly convention. Ims tuck with iot 'cause I'm doing
> AD&D license product. Ild sugegst the rest of you trash it.

Alignment can be usefull, but only if it has some deeper meaning than
kill enough creatures of the same alignment to reverse it.
If you have alignment in the game,  then it should really be fixed for all
time (divine intervention aside, and even then only in exceptional cases).
I know that is not particularly realistic  that a character can never  see
the error of its ways  and stop being evil,  but for the sake of a game it
has to be like that :)
Further being good or evil (leaving the problems associated with neutrally
aligned characters for the moment)  should have profound effect on the way
a character should be played. While not the favourite solution of everybo-
dy on this list, if a game has experience points then good aligned players
should basically share their points,  but basically can not fight anything
that does not attack them first. Evil characters on the other hand can at-
tack anything and anyone they want but basically do not get experience for
it,  unless the strongest character in the group shares some of the points
with the groupmembers. Which they are not obliged to do.  In fact they may
even kill a couple of group members to keep them in line. After all that's
the way evil characters are supposed to behave.

> AS an added bonus to getting rid fo it, you don't have asswipe players then
> trying to argue that they are just "playing Evil alignment" when theya re
> being jerks.

*giggle* Or play you're an evil god who had a bad temper and moved some
of his more stupid followers to the deepest hell.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey