Language design

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 20:42:18 CEST 1997

I seem to remember that someone (Jeff Kesselman, I think) stated that when
designing a language, they always went via one of two routes:

   1. The language is tightly-bound to the task at hand
   2. The language is very generic in nature

What are the (dis)advantages of each? I suspect that a non-generic
language would not be too extensible (and may cause problems if it went
on to a public ftp-able release), what are your opinions on this? A
generic language with libraries for specific purposes seems better than
tying everything to the language itself, but this is pretty much 'the C/C++
route'; I'm anxious to avoid making decisions solely on the basis of
"It's all I know."

MORON n.  Adult whose mental development corresponds to that of a normal
          average child between the ages of 8 and 12; (colloq.) very stupid
          person.