[MUD-Dev] Re:

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Thu Aug 28 21:40:37 CEST 1997

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:

> On Wed 27 Aug, Jeff Kesselman wrote:
> > At 05:43 PM 8/27/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>
> > >can we do it again sometime?" No one ever dreams of being a rape victim.
> > >And anyone on your game who seriously dreams of being a rapist should be
> > >taken out and shot.
>
> > I appreciate and approve of your sentiment.  However its important to
> > remember that internal fantasies are odd things and we can sometimes
> > fantasize for little to no reason about things we would NEVER wish to do in
> > real life.  My ONLY point here is that people should not harbor guilt over
> > deeply internal never acted out fantasies no matter how disgusting they
> > might be if taken any where near the real world.
>
> But should it be part of a game?

I've refrained from comment on this thread thus far (because this is a
subject I am glad to have little personal experience of), but will
interject on this point, not specifically refering to rape, but all things
in the same vein (not to compare them, of course) - basically negative
things as a whole bundle.

Anything can be part of a game - but as soon as you come to things that
may offend anyone in any way, you should tread carefully. Put up warnings,
and ensure that everyone is happy with a scene (to take an RP perspective)
before it proceeds.

And discourage said negative situation - but sweeping it under the carpet
(as with real life issues) may not be the best choice.

In the end of the day it comes down to a reiteration of the phrase "You
pays your money, you makes your choice.". If you want it, have it. If you
don't, then don't.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt