[MUD-Dev] Poisons (was Foods)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 29 00:30:08 CEST 1997

On 26 Aug 97 at 8:01, Koster, Kristen wrote:
> I've always had a soft spot for thieves and assassins so one of the
> things I've been playing around with is a more realistic poison system
> than just -5hp per tick or even subtle variations on that theme. After
> some research, I've got a rather complicated idea but I've been
> striving to streamline it and ensure its playability. Any suggestions
> or comments will be appreciated.
>
> METHODS OF ADMINISTRATION:
> INHALED:	Fumes on a rag/poultice or gaseous cloud
> INJECTED:	Syringe, sharpe blade, or bite, etc.
> CONTACT:	Basically any prolonged skin contact
> INGESTED:	Eating nearly any form, except gaseous.
>
> MAJOR SYMPTOMS:
> Bleeding/Hemorrhage, Blindness, Blurred/Double Vision, Cardiac Arrest,
> Coma, Convulsions, Coughing/Difficulty Breathing, Deafness,
> Drunkeness, Drowsiness, Delirium/Hallucinations, Fever,
> Nausea/Vomiting, Paralysis, Respiratory Failure, Thirst,
> Unconciousness, Weakness

These are all great effects and not only just for poisons but as
a result of spells, wounds, drugs, disease, etc.  I'd like to see
many of these symptoms done so they influence the character
ability (in game) and have an effective textual presentation to
the player.

> Uses six toxicity levels. You can treat individual symptoms but unless
> you use an antitoxin, the symptoms will recur and the longer you let
> the poison course through your veins the more damaging to your system
> the poison becomes. The toxicity level indicates at what point on the
> scale you start at and the higher levels include all the symptoms of
> the previous level. I believe I also have it decreasing hitpoints by
> 2% for each level of toxicity. There's also a chance of outwaiting the
> poison, if that fails it upgrades to the next toxicity level.
>
> Problems I see with it right now:
> * This doesn't feel very streamlined and efficient yet.
> * This is totally untested so no feel for playability

I think available supply might be a balance concern.  I would make
poisons rare, expensive, difficult and dangerous to obtain as a
general rule.  Perhaps require the deadliest poisons to be specially
prepared by a professional (herbalist, physician)

> * I don't particularly want to have a separate spell for each poison,
> but I do want to have an IDENTIFY POISON skill/spell

One thing to note.  In our world there are literally thousands of
poisons available.  A small minority of them are immediately fatal.
And the effects are so varied (and interesting) that you may not want to
do a general case.

Some vague thoughts on a possible implementation:

I would implement each poison on a case by case basis much like you
would design an creature type.  Perhaps the poison once prepared,
gathered or applied is a visible and manipulated object.  If the
poison is one that is dissolved, dispersed or applied to an object
it may become an invisible object contained in or on the object (Be
it the air in a room, a drink, a blade, etc.)  When a character
contacts/drinks/breathes the poison object whether it's visible or
not an sensory output is signalled to the character if appropriate.

>enter hut
You are inside a small hut...blah..blah... The air has an odor
of bitter almonds...blah.. blah. There is a small cot in the corner.

I would give the poison a "chance to hit" the character for lack
of a better term.  If successful the poison object is invisibly
attached to the character.  This object would at intervals signal
the character with the appropriate symptomatic effects.  Maybe
increasing levels of discomfort, real damage to appropriate parts
of anatomy.  It could intercept text output to the character and
modify appropriately before passing it on, etc.

Identifying and treating the poison could be handled by someone
with appropriate skills in identifying the name/nature of the
invisible object.  Antitoxins could be implemented as "creature"
objects as well.  That is they could literally attack the poison
object in a invisible combat.  The poison is cured when it dies
by combat with the antitoxin.  And if your especially cruel the
antitoxin may have it's own attachment to the character for
a duration.  Giving it's own brand of side effects.

Determining whether the poison and antitoxin will "combat" each
other could be a simple "alignment" system for different
poisons/toxins.  A simple decision table.

The only reason I mention _all_ this is because I implement wounds
in this manner ans was thinking of extending the case to
disease.  It occurs to me it just might handle all the cases
(poisons, antitoxins, drugs, alcohol, disease and wounds) .

:)

Note: my use of the word invisible is not in the traditional spell
sense but as a virtual object.

> * What does comatose mean in game terms? How or do you come out of it?
> How is it different from stunned?

Unconscious or sleeping and definitely prone and helpless?  Akin
to waking up, if and when this is possible, through aid or natural
recovery.

> * I want to do a poison_lore type thing with this as well

See above.  Perhaps much like any identification spell-type.  I
prefer giving out 1 chance at it per object/item per mud day or mud
week.  Another availability and game-balance issue I guess.

> * A few new affects/update things to code/check/test
> * Doesn't make distinctions for different races/species but could
> easily do so

Yep.

> Btw: I really like the post on inebriation as well! I've been trying
> to think of ways to adapt it all morning.

Thanks.  As you see, I'm already having second thoughts on how to
do it.  ;)

Jon A. Lambert