[MUD-Dev] New topic: AI and NPCs

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Sun Aug 31 01:24:50 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]
> >a whole bunch of them to gang up on one opponent.  Large is good for
> >strength, sheer body mass which is pretty much the #1 factor in any
> >sort of wrestling/ground fighting/judo maneuvers, and in some cases it
>
> The Judoka on tyhe list has to correct this.
> Its 100% incorrect.  The key in Judo trhows is center of gravity. The small
> creature has a big advantage with having a lower center of gravity.
> Strength and body mass are irellevent, unless you don't know what you are
> doing at all, in which case you arent performing judo/jujitsu, you are an
> american wrestler.

*nod*...most of our wrestlers are completely unskilled.  Wrestling was something
we threw in as more of a way to help out the big, slow guys - if that
little dude hopping around with his dagger is too hard for you to hit,
go for the grab.  If you make it it'll pretty much all be over for him.

> As for mat work (holds and such) speed and agility are a lto mroe imprtoant
> then size and mass.  A small person can hodl a big one pinned quite nciely
> if they can get them into the right position.

*nod*...although I should tell you our size scale.  Our test runs usually
involve sending in two or three goblins (~50 lb each, 3') versus a
minotaur (~800 lb, 9') or a jhaa'rdk (~900 lb, 9').

Secondly, I didn't write any of the wrestling code, but rather my partner
(who is currently practising Jujitsu, although I'm not sure how his
experience level compares to yours).

This is an interesting topic, one I'd like to hear more on, if Orion is
actually listening (he tends to read about 10 out of every 100 messages
that go through his mailbox).

Orion?  *knock knock knock*  Anyone home?