MUD Universe

S001GMU at nova.wright.edu S001GMU at nova.wright.edu
Sun Aug 31 12:07:47 CEST 1997

[[List owner comment:  Yet another post fractured by a broken mail server.
Some lines may be missing here.  <sigh>]]

>On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 S001GMU at nova.wright.edu wrote:
>
>:I can think of only one major flaw of forking off alternate universes whenever
>:someone solves a quest, and then only allowing that person into the quest.
>:You loose all sense of a coherent world.  Every person would have a different
>:world in which to play, isolating them from the rest of the players.  Quite
>:frankly, what's the point?  why put the M in MUD then?
>
>:-Greg
>
>Since I do this myself (see about five months ago for my last post on the
>subject.... sorry.) I will have to pipe in here... "It works". The only
>thing is, you have to do something about conversations between people with
>alternate histories. I tend to change names... so the name of a place slated
>for this sort of continual reincarnation is actually set to a phonetic
>variable seeded with the name of the viewer. I can go into more detail if you
>are interested.

I am quite interested.  If you limit the players who can enter the alternate
universe to the one player who created it, I really don't see how that makes
the game a MUD, at least not as I understand/want my MUD to be.  Please
elaborate, and attempt to convince me!  :)

-Greg