[MUD-Dev] World full of heros

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Aug 31 14:20:11 CEST 1997

Forgive me folks if we already discussed this and I frogot but the 'forking
worlds" thread seems to me to beg a bigger issue. Something Im wrestling
with continually in my project.

Most role play games work on the assumtpion that the Player Characters are
'special".  theya re the exceptional peopel abotu whom storiesd get
written.  This becoems a bit of an issue when yo uhave a world FULL of
these people.  If your goial is to preserve the RP experience how do you
keep 1000 peoepl all feeling special ande xceptional? To a alrge degree
they DEFINE the world.

We've taken the tact of a great many "off screen" abstratced peopel and
events that the players actiosn effect, as well as the "no preprogrammed
quests" approach, preferring isntead to seed "situations" into the game.

But hwo many others see this as a problem?

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net