Forests, swamps, terrain & web ecology (long)

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 15:47:43 CET 1997

Thank for all the info about forests I have to say that originally, I just
wanted to know for descriptive purposes and for generating random
landscapes.  After all the info about how such features crop up, I could
put the knowledge to use in a terrain generator which makes terrain by
evolving them.

Swamps are another terrain type which I'm not sure about (never studied
them in geography).  I've also never seen one in life except from films...
So same question again but about swamps.  All this leads to:  I should
search the web for this info.

Upcoming long bit about web ecologies.

A word of warning, I think the below has very little to do with mud
research after a lot of thought.  However, it is very good background
knowledge.  There are some nuggets of information in there but you'll have
to search for them.

Seeing as there is a fair amount of interest, I've decided to type up
extracts from the article about the webs.  First word of warning, the
article is orientated around the parallels between nature's ecology and
the business world.  The examples it uses are from the cut throat land of
computery things.  Now, I realise a few of you recipients are computer
gurus but please don't reply with one-line smart alec comments correcting
the minor points in the article.  That activity is reserved for the
usenet. Thankyou for your cooperation. :)

Another point, I must make clear is that this stuff has no place in Vague
for the meanwhile.  I am interested in it from a personal point of view,
not because I want to stick it in my mud.  However, I do think this sort
of thing might be of some use or even inspire some members of the mailing
list so here it is:

Mike Sellers:  Funny enuff, Stuart Kauffman got quoted in this article!

Um, typing as fast as I can whilst reading the article so some of it might
read funny.