[MUD-Dev] Re: Introductions and descriptions

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Tue Dec 2 23:23:23 CET 1997

Derrick Jones wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
> > [Brandon J. Rickman:]
> > > On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'll see if I can find the old posts.  I really like discussion of
> > > pseudo-random skill checks.  But how could a character "learn" something,
> > > like how to identify a very specific species of mushroom?  If mushroom
> > > recognition is dependent on a very genreal skill, such as survival,
> > > and "my" seeded skill requires an 87 to identify a particular mushroom
> > > but my current skill is 13...
> >
> > If it requires an 87 on a scale of 100, this should mean it is a very
> > difficult mushroom to identify.  Thus only a highly trained survivalist
> > would be able to tell that particular mushroom apart from the three other
> > species of nearly identical-looking, but completely harmless, 'shrooms.
> >
> But the random seed is also dependant on the character.  So one particular
> mushroom may require an 87 for Bubba, while Boffo only needs a 35...On the
> other hand, the seeding may work out to be on another mushroom, Boffo
> needs the 87 and Bubba the 35.  So Bubba may learn mushroom B easily, but
> not mushroom A, and Boffo can pick up on A, but not B.

So Bubba learned about Mushroom A, whist Boffo learned about mushroom B.  I
have studied computing, yet I can assure you I have not learned exactly the
same things as other people who have studied the same subject.

> > Of course, I dislike super general skills except as roots in a skill
> > tree.
> Agreed.

I also agree...however I have the limitations of trying to base my code
on a roleplaying game.  I sometimes wonder if this is a distinctly bad
thing...but I am determined to see it through.

KaVir.