[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Thu Dec 4 02:03:20 CET 1997

"Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I look forward to it.  The web of political ecologies does resemble the web
>of biological ecologies.  I would also posit that political ecology is
>dependent upon economic ecology which in turn is dependent upon
>biological/geological ecology.

Hardly in the general case.  What is "politics" but gaining control
over the norms (moral,laws) in a society.  This is especially true in
a MUD where your existence is not dependant on collecting energy (or
money if you like).  It becomes even more true if there is no real
user-level death.  The most important trading (the exchange with most
impact) in a MUD is probably done in the realm of social recognition,
status, fame and identification.  Of course, if you want to enforce an
economy... but then your users might start feeling like slaves and go
somewhere else where they get more fun for less...

Ola.