[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Dec 5 19:27:19 CET 1997

On Wed 03 Dec, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> >I look forward to it.  The web of political ecologies does resemble th=
e web=20
> >of biological ecologies.  I would also posit that political ecology is=
=20
> >dependent upon economic ecology which in turn is dependent upon=20
> >biological/geological ecology.

> Hardly in the general case.  What is "politics" but gaining control
> over the norms (moral,laws) in a society.=20

I don't know. I always thought that politicians were the guys who
distribute the tax money?

> This is especially true in
> a MUD where your existence is not dependant on collecting energy (or
> money if you like).

This of course can easily be changed. And there are a great many muds
where collecting money is of significant importance.  Every muds that
has rent or taxation requires the players to collect money. And there
are some muds where a character can actually die of hunger or thirst.

> It becomes even more true if there is no real
> user-level death.  The most important trading (the exchange with most
> impact) in a MUD is probably done in the realm of social recognition,
> status, fame and identification.  Of course, if you want to enforce an
> economy... but then your users might start feeling like slaves and go
> somewhere else where they get more fun for less...

I agree that not every player may enjoy a game where they have to do
some work to have their characters survive. But there may equally be
players who do not mind and enjoy the chance of variety and roleplay
it brings to the game. Different expectations I guess.
If a game starts to develop in this direction  it will cease to be a
kind of mud though  (in the traditional sense of the word)  and this
may confuse players. It does not mean it can't be a valid foundation
for a game.

Marian
--=20
will there be loneliness ...