[MUD-Dev] Re: BUILDERS: Ferries

Mike Sellers mike at online-alchemy.com
Sun Dec 7 18:06:06 CET 1997

At 01:05 PM 12/7/97 PST8PDT, Marian Griffith wrote:
>On Sat 06 Dec, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:
>> > One of the challenges I
>> > have found both interesting and enjoying about working with an entirely
>> > original theme is that of creating a believable world with an enthraling
>> > history which draws people in.
>
>I belief this is much more important to the game than the actual map.
>The history  will provide the game with a sense of continuity  and it
>can guide the area builders in their efforts much more  than a fairly
>abstract map can do.

FWIW, various authors including Tolkein, Eddings, and O.S. Card have talked
about how they started with a map, and built their histories and peoples
(and eventually stories) on top of it.  I think this makes a lot of sense.
Eddings also said in a recent article that it took him almost two years to
do all that for the Belgariad/Mallorean stories, but now he has the process
down to about six weeks. :-)

Mike Sellers                                    Chief Alchemist
mike at online-alchemy.com                         Online Alchemy

        Combining art & science to create new worlds.