[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Mon Dec 8 14:10:25 CET 1997

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 06:21:37 PST8PDT, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:

} On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Alex Oren wrote:
}
} > Got me thinking.
} >
} > How about dividing the mud into zones with more or less strict law enforcement
} > in each.
} >
} > For example, you'll have cities in which even the slightest perceived act of
} > stealing or violence will instantly set the town guard on your tail, post
} > "wanted" ads all over the place and in general make life miserable for you.
} > While at the same time, there will be areas in which free PK is the norm.
} >
} > Sort of localized governments or law-enforcement agencies.
} >
} > Another possibility is to have places where upholding the law is beneficial to
} > the players.  E.g.: forming a group and catching a "wanted" person gives the
} > members a nice reward (monetary or otherwise).
} >
} > In general, one would be able to concentrate on the MUD theme while in Castle
} > Krak(TM) and once in a while, when he/she feels like being a jerk, go to the
} > Crystalline Forest(TM) for some stealing/PK/whatever.
}
} The problem with this is that the 'jerks' are not going to WANT to harass
} ppl out in the wilds.  They're going to want to do it inside the city,
} and they are going to find a way to do it.

The change of subject was intentional.  I didn't want to get into the discussion
on the subject of jerks (don't think I have anything worthwhile to add to it)
but people who want to RP jerks/thieves/killers might benefit from the ideas
above.

} > - Hey, Bubba, I have stashed the scepter of Googoo(TM) just outside of town.
} >   Wanna come with me and have it?
} >
} > - Outside of the town?  Isn't it a wild lawless land?
} >
} > - Come on, don't worry.  Don't you trust me?  (muhahaha...)
}
} hehheheh... I love the idea... and if you can find an effective way to
} enforce the given laws for a given town, more power to ya.

Note that I didn't talk about jerk-proofing a system.  Rather, about allowing
controlled jerk-like behavior without ruining the fun for most other
participants.

--
Have fun,
Alex.