[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Mon Dec 8 23:27:47 CET 1997

[Alex Oren:]
> How about dividing the mud into zones with more or less strict law enforcement
> in each.
>
> For example, you'll have cities in which even the slightest perceived act of
> stealing or violence will instantly set the town guard on your tail, post
> "wanted" ads all over the place and in general make life miserable for you.
> While at the same time, there will be areas in which free PK is the norm.
>
> Sort of localized governments or law-enforcement agencies.

This is exactly what they do on Arctic.  The strictest town is Solace,
where you can be arrested for public drunkeness and animal abuse.
Many of the magic-using police NPCs are hidden and/or invisble, making
planning a crime by simply watching for when there's supposedly no one
around much more difficult.  The wanted board in each town gives a listed
of wanted criminals to allow PCs to go after them.

My favorite effect is going travelling with a group.  The leader says,
"Hey, let's stop in Balifor and get some supplies"...and some group
member says, "Uh, let's not...I'm kind of, well, wanted for murder there.."