[MUD-Dev] META: FAQ and Thread Summaries

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Tue Dec 9 00:35:32 CET 1997

On 03/12/97 at 09:57 AM, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu said:

>[coder at ibm.net:]

>> Specific questions I have:
>>   1) Should we have a FAQ?

>yup.  I think it could only help the list.
>
>my one suggestion, make it a nicely formatted HTML doc.

My temptation would be to have two documents, one produced from the other,
or both produced from a common meta file.  The HTML fom would berely be an
indexed super-set of the flat text version.  The flat text would be posted
periodically here, added to the welcome message, or some such similar.
The HTML would be slated for the list's web site when that eventually
happens (things have managed to get in the way again)

>there's nothing
>I hate more than having to flip through pages of plain text, looking for
>a nicely labeled section 3.2.4.1.1 on the specific question I was looking
> for an answer for.

I really doubt that any FAQ coming from our lot of petty rebels would be
quite that structured, detailed, or organised.

>As for thread admin, I think it'd have to be a purely voluntary basis...
>and mostly after the fact (too high of a mutation rate, etc).  I like the
> summaries, but get by just fine w/o.

I'm becoming increasingly conviced that its a good idea that should be
left as precisely that; A Good Idea.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net