Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Tue Dec 9 09:24:35 CET 1997

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Alex Oren wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 06:21:37 PST8PDT, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:
>
> } On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Alex Oren wrote:
> }
> } > Got me thinking.
> } >
> } > How about dividing the mud into zones with more or less strict law enforcement
> } > in each.
> } >
> } > For example, you'll have cities in which even the slightest perceived act of
> } > stealing or violence will instantly set the town guard on your tail, post
> } > "wanted" ads all over the place and in general make life miserable for you.
> } > While at the same time, there will be areas in which free PK is the norm.
> } >
> } > Sort of localized governments or law-enforcement agencies.
> } >
> } > Another possibility is to have places where upholding the law is beneficial to
> } > the players.  E.g.: forming a group and catching a "wanted" person gives the
> } > members a nice reward (monetary or otherwise).
> } >
> } > In general, one would be able to concentrate on the MUD theme while in Castle
> } > Krak(TM) and once in a while, when he/she feels like being a jerk, go to the
> } > Crystalline Forest(TM) for some stealing/PK/whatever.
> }
> } The problem with this is that the 'jerks' are not going to WANT to harass
> } ppl out in the wilds.  They're going to want to do it inside the city,
> } and they are going to find a way to do it.
>
> The change of subject was intentional.  I didn't want to get into the discussion
> on the subject of jerks (don't think I have anything worthwhile to add to it)
> but people who want to RP jerks/thieves/killers might benefit from the ideas
> above.

>From an RP perspective, I agree entirely... I think it'd be a fabulous
idea.  In fact we fully intend to implement such a system.  My mind was
still thinking along the lines of non-RP jerks and potential solutions to
the problem.  The two subjects are closely related.  What is the
effect of setting up a social system where it is acceptable to behave any
way you please in some areas, while other areas have strict law
enforcement?  Within the context of the game and Role Play I think it
adds gobs of flavour and is, on the whole, a Good Thing (tm).
Unfortunately, I don't think you can look at just one aspect of the
system's impact.  What about those ppl who log in, not to play the game,
but to 'game the game'?  or those ppl who log in just to get an ego rush
from harassing other ppl?

-Greg