[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting

Koster Koster
Tue Dec 9 11:19:57 CET 1997

On Tuesday, December 09, 1997 2:24 AM, Mike
Sellers[SMTP:mike at online-alchemy.com] wrote:

> We talked here recently about IC vs OOC communication.  I wonder how
it
> would be if we removed a layer of the anonymity of the MUD by
allowing you
> to do a "player" or "ooc" command that gives you the *user's*
> description/information -- name, age, gender, that sort of thing,
not their
> address or phone number.  At least then (with somewhat robust
registration
> features) you'd have a chane of knowing who the *player* was "across
the
> table" from you.  This might actually have the result of channeling
OOC
> chat away from the main game AND not giving jerks the feeling that
they can
> fully hide behind their character.  Thoughts?

Well, as you pointed out, a lot of UO players use ICQ. Which gives
someone who knows something about the Internet access to their IP
address. We have had *many* reported cases of people using sociket
spamming and ping o' death techniques on victims this way. So based on
that, I'd argue that the yes, it may have this result, but that the
data on the screen still doesn't add up to "a person" psychologically
until they have more personal contact than the above describes.

-Raph