[MUD-Dev] Problem Players [was: Guilds & Politics ]

Koster Koster
Tue Dec 9 15:16:13 CET 1997

On Tuesday, December 09, 1997 7:04 AM, Stephen
Zepp[SMTP:zoran at enid.com] wrote:
[snip]
> Well, I agree, if you're talking about trying to see if a player
always
> conforms to the "perfect player" model.  However, I'm talking more
of an
> npc actor sayin "do I like this person? what have they done to me or
my
> friends, what have they done _for_ me or my friends?"..then
interact
> accordingly.  The person that pkills endlessly will be hunted by
guards,
> bounty hunters, etc., prosecuted/threatened/finally assassinated by
the
> Assassin's Club, but may even be approached secretly by the King who
needs
> one of his enemies ( player or npc ) taken out.  Here's how it would
work
> in my system ( partially coded ):

[snip example]
> Zoran

The above sounds wonderful, given that you have email registration,
characters who never log out, etc. These provide important "identity
tracking" which permit the enforcers of justice to track the villain
down. Without them, though, it's next to impossible... Also, as scale
grows, anonymity will become increasingly easy as well. Eventually, it
may break down on you.It will be interesting to see if this is the
case. It relies a lot on players' willingness to gossip, which may not
work out that well (is it possible for a group of 100 players to get
together and purposely report the same person for something nasty, to
get their character destroyed?)

-Raph