[MUD-Dev] You, the game of philosophy.

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Tue Dec 9 23:02:12 CET 1997

On 20/11/97 at 08:17 PM, Ola Fosheim Gr=B0stad <olag at ifi.uio.no> said: >A=
dam
Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com> wrote:
>>[Ola Fosheim Gr stad:]
>>> Isn't holding the idea that some players are "bad" a very dangerous
>>> position for a designer to hold??
>>
>>I hardly think so.  It's merely a fact.

>Even if we assume "the fact", it is still a dangerous state of mind for =
>designer, unless of course, you don't give a hoot about anybody but
>yourself.

The scale I use:

  A Bad Player is one who has ceased to strive to extract, determine, and
achieve his own goals from the game in front of him.  A subset of these
are those who then attempt to achieve their goals through persuasion
rather than direct action: typically whining.

  A Good Player is the converse of this, one who continues to causitively
work to master, define, and manipulate the game to his own ends.

I will accept a limit of an acceptable goal being defined as those which
don't require or define the game's failure, dissolution, abandonment etc.

--=20
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net