[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Wed Dec 10 00:32:46 CET 1997

Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:
>But to answer your question. No. There is nothing inherently wrong with
>being a jerk on a roleplaying game,  but only if you are actually role-
>playing that jerk. There is a great deal wrong with -being- a jerk on a
>roleplaying game.

In some sense I agree, although I think most jerks are jerks because
they view the game as DOOM.  It is however a bit difficult to tell
whether they are a jerk or are trying to roleplay one, from the
outside.  I guess one could rephrase my question as: Isn't it true
that you invite people to act like jerks my calling your MUD a game or
a roleplaying game?  Can you really blame them? :-)

>> I've got another question.  Does thousands (or rather millions) of
>> players add anything vital to the experience at all?  Maybe thousands
>> of separate systems with several hundred players each is equally
>> rewarding, even more rewarding, because the probability of bumping
>> into a friend is higher.
>
>With more players you can more easily have a kind of society in your
>game, which might make the game more enjoyable.

Yes, it might. Maybe.  Or maybe not?

Ola.