[MUD-Dev] Re: Less numbers, more roleplaying.

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Wed Dec 10 13:04:37 CET 1997

On 25/11/97 at 02:46 PM, Richard Woolcock <KaVir at dial.pipex.com> said:

>I dislike the whole concept of 'safe' areas... Surely there must be some
>better alternative?  Admittedly, preventing undead from entering the
>Temple of Light would be quite reasonable, but to simply have an area in
>which people cannot fight just doesn't seem quite right.

One thing I have have noted in my logs to consider is doing a parallel to
the Veils of Alzaroc (a great book BTW).  Very simply, in the book people
live on the surface of a decayed star which has a number of peculiar
characteristics.  One of the oddities is that there are periodic "veil
falls".  The general result is that any character can interact with any
other character within a dozen or so veil fall layers of them on either
side.  Further seperation and they can still _see_ them, but are no longer
able to interact (they walk right thru them etc).  The really interesting
aspect is that this also applies to the physical universe as well.  A 20
veil-fall character may be able to see the freshly landed 0 fall
space-ship, but will walk right thru it, the 40 fall character conversely
won't even see the ship and visa versa.

This would be paralleled in the game by having characters which are too
widely seperated (levels or whatever) not even able to be aware of each
other, let alone interact.  Characters on a closer par would be able to
detect each other, even communicate with some effort (writing for
instance), but not direct physical interaction.  Etc.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net