[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Wed Dec 10 15:25:07 CET 1997

Richard Woolcock <KaVir at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>> In some sense I agree, although I think most jerks are jerks because
>> they view the game as DOOM.  It is however a bit difficult to tell
>> whether they are a jerk or are trying to roleplay one, from the
>> outside.  I guess one could rephrase my question as: Isn't it true
>> that you invite people to act like jerks my calling your MUD a game or
>> a roleplaying game?  Can you really blame them? :-)
>
>A roleplayed jerk wouldn't spam you, or make out-of-character personal
>remarks like "man you SUCK at this game", nor would they make OOC racist
>remarks or use profanity if it was banned.  Real jerks will often do just
>that, as well as exploit bugs repeatedly and cheat whenever possible.  A=20
>roleplayed jerk might well kill you and laugh about it, or bully you aroun=
d. =20

Who knows, maybe they are roleplaying the player (something I think
I've mentioned before) or are simply sucking at roleplaying. Isn't it
true that what many people want from a mud is freedom, and that this
freedom includes the right to be a jerk?  (Just trying to look
differently at things)

>> >With more players you can more easily have a kind of society in your
>> >game, which might make the game more enjoyable.
>>=20
>> Yes, it might. Maybe.  Or maybe not?
>
>*shrug* too many players can be a put-off unless the world is big enough
>to handle them.  Too few players takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

Unless you find those few players really interesting.  I believe the
crux is in there somewhere.

Ola.