[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Koster Koster
Wed Dec 10 16:32:22 CET 1997

On Wednesday, December 10, 1997 8:14 AM, Matt=20
Chatterley[SMTP:root at mpc.dyn.ml.org] wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> > >"roleplayers" both places... When writing my reply to Mike=20
earlier,
> > >every time I made a statement I kept checking it in my mind=20
against
> > >the Dibbell article, and going "did this hold true on LambdaMOO?=20
Yes."

> > Where is the Dibbell article?
>
> What is the Dibbell article?

The Julian Dibbell article on the LambdaMOO virtual rape. Sorry, I=20
guess I assumed from previous posts on the list that everyone was=20
familiar with it. A citation:

A Rape in Cyberspace

             How an Evil Clown, a Haitian Trickster Spirit, Two=20
Wizards, and a
             Cast of Dozens Turned a Database Into a Society

             By Julian Dibbell

             julian at mostly.com

             ((c) 1993, first published in The Village Voice, December=20
23, 1993)

http://www.levity.com/julian/bungle.html

Overview: the first article to break muds into the mainstream media; a=20
great case study in spoofing, player government and community=20
formation, and identity in muds. I consider it a touchstone article on=20
muds, actually.

-Raph