[MUD-Dev] Status visualization Was: UI Issues: Anti-scripting techniques

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Wed Dec 10 21:55:32 CET 1997

On 03/12/97 at 08:21 PM, Vadim Tkachenko <vadimt at 4cs.com> said:

>In my model, properties are unlimited in number, ordered in a tree-like
>fashion, every leaf, as well as a node, can have a value, nodes have two
>- literal and weighted. Thus, it's difficult to estimate a complete
>picture even roughly without spending significant time walking that tree
>(right now I'm talking about the graphical client) - it's impossible to
>have just a small panel with up to 5-10 stats and values, the number of
>properties, once again, is unlimited.

>So, the next idea was to create some sort of a visualization for that
>tree which will reflect, at least approximately, a current status.

Get and read some of Tufte's books.  He has some very good stuff on
interfaces and representations in this area/  Sorry can't pass on any
definitived -- Ijust got them myself.

>Thus, the result is a visualization using which you would be able to tell
>your (other object's) exact property breakdown, at least approximate,
>almost instantly (like the artificial horizon in the modern aircrafts,
>which can give you the estimate on dozen different parameters at one
>glance).

>Any comments?

I understand, appreciate and agree with the problem -- I have it myself
for a somewhat more internally complex model.  My current solution?  I
don't even try to do anything -- I just don't report the current state of
the skill web in any form.  I originally took this tack purely as I didn't
have a clue on how to approach the area -- I now wonder if it really isn't
the appropriate answer.  Hiding the data can make for a much more
interesting time in some ways.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net