[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Thu Dec 11 09:12:07 CET 1997

[Raph K:]
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Stephen Zepp wrote:

> >A description of the system in place in UO:
>
> Umm, ever consider black marks/suspicions, and "righteous combat"?  If I
> attack to defend my home/possessions, I'm probably gonna receive _more_
> positive noteriety, and mass combat simply requires an "act of war" to make
> it valid for _both_ sides...in addition, maybe go away from an overall
> black/white scale...their should be factions out there that will interact
> _positively_ with players of "questionable notoriety", even asking the
> player to be a part of their group ( Assassin's Guild is lookin for new
> killers...only experienced Mass Murderers need apply ).

This appears to be roughly the approach I take - players have a
multi-faceted reputation, which accounts for both 'personal' and
'criminal' respects, as well as 'guild' respects.

For instance, if you were a robin-hood kinda guy, you would build up a
considerable positive reputation as a criminal (you would become known as
a criminal initially in the places you actually commit the crimes,
although this would spread outwards if you were very well known -
notorious). You would also gain a personal reputation that was positive,
because the populace en-masse would like you (robbing from the rich,
giving to the poor).

You would also become very well known as a member of 'Robin's merry men'
(obviously), which would most likely be your guild.

If you run accross a guard, he is very likely to know you (assuming you
are not disguised), and try to arrest you.

If you run accross a peasant who recognises you, he is likely to be quite
nice to you.

If you attempt to join a guild such as 'The Sheriff's bad boys brigade',
who are strongly opposed to 'Robin's merry men', and they recognise you,
you are unlikely to be allowed in.

And so forth.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein