[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics

Maddy maddy at fysh.org
Thu Dec 11 16:50:00 CET 1997

Previously, Koster, Raph wrote....

[Snip]
> Major issues: "Oops, I accidentally attacked my friend!" "Hey, my=20
> friend and I want to attack each other to practice weaponry, yet our=20
> reputations suffer!" "This guy broke into my house, but had a good=20
> reputation, and I would damage mine if I attacked him" Plus, the top=20
> playerkiller groups now are GOOD guys who self-righteously hunt down=20
> anyone who has slipped slightly in reputation and kills them, because=20
> that way they kill indiscriminately but still keep their reputation=20
> up. This can be seen as a benefit, I guess, since it adds a lot of=20
> teeth to the system :)

What may work is if you have the system define someone as a valid enemy.
Thus if Bubba broke into Boffo's house, Boffo would be perfectly within his
right to attack Bubba.  Likewise if someone attacks you first (I'm guessing
a person with an "bad" rep would suffer if they killed in self-defense)
you'd not ruin your rep.

> But the biggest problem of course: it's just another layer of game to=20
> play. All the above can be manipulated (we do hide numbers on this of=20
> course, but there is an overall title) and an expert player can play=20
> the numbers. It also damages roleplay quite a lot since playing an=20
> honorable rogue is very difficult, and it basically makes large scale=20
> combat impossible right now (as it would ruin the reputations of=20
> everyone in the battle).

Well surely the rogue's rep would only go down if they were seen/caught
being rogue-like?  There'd be no point playing one, if every time you broke
into a unprotected house you lost rep - you'd be dead within days.

Maddy